Sunday, May 19, 2019

The Mooks and Midriffs that raised me

Image result for Disney shows
The Mooks and Midriffs that raised me

I grew up like many kids watching shows of channel 226 on the Disney channel, cartoon network, and sometimes even Nickelodeon. After watching the frontline episode "Merchants of Cool," I realized that many of the personalities I watched as a child were based around these types of characters. They were often the goofy character that was always doing dumb things to appeal to audience. I reflected on the personalities that I had watched every day from 2:30-4:30 at my grandma's house waiting for my mom to get off of work and taking a trip down memory lane was a different experience than watching nostalgia compilations at 3am in the morning. I thought about all the characters in the shows that I had watched that were based around Mooks or Midriffs and realized there was a lot more than I expected. To my surprise, some of my favorite characters from my favorite shows had been a Mook or a Midriff. Then I started thinking about what the show would be without these personalities and in all honesty, they'd be quite boring, and not as playful as a show designed for children should be. This is how many television companies keep their watchers loyal. These characters were what made the show interesting and even though they were often side characters in the shows, they would always somehow find a way to make themselves noticed. Besides the often childish storyline, the main factor that separates children shows from shows meant from adults is these childish personalities that appeal to the child inside of you and even as an a teenager or young adult still find new ways to amuse you.

No comments:

Post a Comment